Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Explain to me the value of a college degree.

Hey guys! I'm over ten followers, and it has only been about a week and a half. Thanks so much for your support. Keep spreading the word. If there's a story that you want me to cover, or someone you'd like for me to interview, let me know.

I have a few things to cover today. Make sure you read them all. I've saved the best for last.

Talking with the "conservative voice" of District 105, Linda Harper Brown, I was bemused as to her involvement throughout the years. Analyzing her background, she grew up in Dallas, attended Kimball High School, and considers herself a "four generation Texan". In high school, she had the intent of being a linguist; therefore, she chose to take Latin.
After establishing a family, she moved to Duncanville in which she became involved in her children's lives through PTA, being the Red Cross Coordinator, and electing officials to the school board. With all of her involvement, she was selected to be a member of the City Council. Still committed to her involvements, she started a campaign for DART. While I may not be a big supporter of public transportation, she fights for what she believes in. Nearly every time she attends official meetings in Austin, Rick Perry fights against her work ethics against TX DOT (Texas Department of Transportation). "I'm not a fan of his attitude," Brown stated, "He's very disappointing."
I'm not sure if this is just me, but I have found one thing in sync among Republicans and Liberals. None of us seem to like Rick Perry. Having been elected during George W. Bush's first term, he needs to get out.
Now, this is my main concern regarding all of my research thus far: Why are all of our elected officials lacking a college degree? My mentor, Herbert Gears, has no degree. A representative of the Texas House, Linda Harper Brown, has no college degree. This is baffling. I personally do not want my city to be ran by someone who has the equivalence or less than that of myself. I know that my classes are rigorous. I know that growing up thirty-five years ago did not ensure advanced classes. Thus, I have a higher education than the people representing our community, our state, and our nation. This is absurd. So, all of the preaching that goes on in school about the importance of a college degree is apparently insipid and bogus. They aren't needed. Does this change my mind set? No. I hope that my generation will lead by example and not simply follow in the footsteps of our elders. The process in leadership and official representation needs to be a difficult process. A "weeding-out" type process needs to occur to ensure dedication once one is elected. These officials are not setting an example for my peers.

If you could all leave me a comment telling me your profession and degree, this would help my study tremendously.
Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Not all college degrees are created equal and certainly the fact is that achieving a degree doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will need it to succeed in life. With that being said, if you pursue and achieve advanced levels of education (and yes earning a degree) you have a far better chance to earn more in your lifetime through the increased number of opportunities available to you....but in the end, it is really your individual talent, knowledge, skill, and work ethic that will take you where you want to go.

    Your question about our elected representatives and their lack of "educational achievement" reminds me of a quote I once read:

    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato

    Vice President, General Manager - Implementation and Integration Services
    FIS

    Bachelor of Science, Computer Information Systems - 1987

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your commentary on elected officials and college degrees would have more credence if you provided data to support your claims. You’ve pointed to two elected officials – one at the local level and one at the state level – who don’t have a degree, but there is no other evidence or statistics in your argument to show that, indeed, representatives of our cities, states and nation are generally lacking in educational credentials. Is it fact or opinion? I’m unsure, but there is nothing here to show it is more than a broad generalization. You also take the stance that the quality of secondary education today is more rigorous and advanced than education available in the past. Without any supporting data, that is a questionable assertion to make, especially considering all the variables that impact educational “quality”. In fact, some would claim that educational standards are lower today than they’ve ever been.

    Without a doubt, higher education is important. It was a priority for my wife and me, and it is a value and aspiration we will seek to instill in our children. However, for public servants, I don’t believe it is the ultimate qualification, and I don’t necessarily see the linkage you’ve drawn to leadership and dedication. A college degree doesn’t guarantee the presence of either of those qualities, nor would it necessarily ensure effectiveness as an elected official. To claim that elected officials are not setting a good example if they lack a college degree is to do them a great disservice; it minimizes the inspiration and impact they may have. You didn’t tell us, but I doubt that Mayor Gears and Representative Harper-Brown are “preaching in school about the importance of a college degree”. However, if they were to do so, I don’t think their point would be negated because they don’t have their own degree. Perhaps, depending on the circumstances of their personal backgrounds, their case for higher education might even be more persuasive.

    Let’s hear more about what Rep. Harper-Brown had to say on the political issues the two of you discussed…

    Profession: Manager of Organization Change/Senior HR Consultant
    Degree: Master of Science – Management

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do bring some very interesting points to the table. What struck me most about this was obviously what struck you, the absence of two elected official collegiate degrees, as they serve our city and state in very powerful ways.

    I do, however, agree with both previous comments about that not all degrees are created equal. I believe that there are a number of people who could serve us very well in public office without having a college degree. What it seems all of these figures have in common that is upsettling is a lack experience in public service prior to taking office.

    Keep investigating!

    Profession: University Administration
    Degrees: BA-Drama, MA Humanities, PhD (in progress) Literature

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sticky place to be. Is a degree whats makes you truly good for a position? I say no. A piece of paper can say you know about something but not that you truly know how to use it. In my profession i see people all the time who are professional photographers because of the schooling they have taken but there work shows poor results. Its not what you read in a book or how many dots you can fill in correct that makes you good at something. Everyone has a calling and for you it is obvious that writing is a place were you top all others. In photography you need to have that eye, the one that looks at one thing at finds 1000's of shots all different in there own way. Government is your piece you are finding the 1000 shots and exposing them for everyone but let us the people decide which shots are good and bad. A degree only makes you good at something but creativity and passion make you the best. Experience is worth more then a degree. I love your passion for the truth, continue with this and you will find success!

    Profession: Photography

    ReplyDelete